Sunday, May 9, 2010

They Don't Make Them Like They Used To

I won't say that illustration is a dying art. It will never die (long live drawing!). However, with the advancing field of photography and the invention of stock photo websites, illustration is being used less and less in advertising and on consumer products. So when I come across an old 1960's illustrated ad while flipping through a vintage issue of Time magazine at the antique store, I can't help but appreciate how it was back in the day. Illustration adds a different sort of charm that photography just can't capture. Not to mention the talent needed to come up with a piece of commercial art. After all, I am an Art Director and know what Illustrators (and Photographer's) go through to get that art piece just right for my liking. Needless to say, I have a huge appreciation for these people and what they do. To help you understand what I'm trying to say, here's an example of an old children's cookbook with every page filled with adorable drawings of truffle-sized cooks and bakers creating all sorts of food concoctions. I can only image how long it took to put this book together; but what a great result! It's the most visually entertaining book I've come across in a long time. There's so much detail and fun packed into every recipe that it's hard to resist daydreaming about being 6-years old again and baking holiday cookies with my family.


Usborne First Cookbooks PARTY THINGS Spiral Bound Childrens Cookery Book. By Angela Wilkes and Illustrated By Stephen Cartwright.

No comments: