Friday, April 9, 2010

Sew Excited!

Last week I started taking a Beginning Sewing class. I bought a sewing machine a year ago and thought (thought!) I knew how to use it. Nah, nope, naddah. I couldn't even thread it! How embarrassing. But who am I kidding. I haven't touched a sewing machine since Middle School and all I made back then was this stupid monkey pillow (why, oh why didn't I make the shark?!?!). Did anyone else have to make one of these in school?

Luckily, this time I'm making a tote bag. Which is perfect considering I'm preparing to visit an island in about 2 months. A new tote bag is exactly what I need. Better yet, a custom-made bag to satisfy my picky tastes. So on to the store to purchase a few yards of fabric. Talk about overwhleming! So many colors, patterns, textures, and prices to choose from. Unfortunately, I left empty handed. It was pretty clear that I needed to do my research before I stepped back into another fabric store unarmed. So I raced home and started my online search for fabric. I mocked up the bag on my computer and started creating combination after combination of colors and patterns. Here are my prototypes:

Fully prepared for my next round of attack, with my inspiration bags in hand, I entered the store one last time. And left with two beautiful fabrics perfect for a summer tote. A sturdy, mustard yellow cloth and a cheerful, teal/floral fabric to match.

When the bag is finish in another 4 weeks I'll post the results, plus any trials and tribulations in-between worth noting. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I think you are on to something here. Those mock up designs are as appealing as the bags I see ladies walking around with everyday, except they probably paid way too much at some designer store...or in the back room of some shady store in NYC.