Sunday, February 14, 2010
Did you drop the ball this year? Or are you just hoping to play it low-key instead? Either way, here are some easy, no planning (or very little) Valentine's Day ideas for you and your Sweetie.
The saying "The way to a persons heart is through their stomach" is true for both men and women.
• Surprise them with breakfast in bed.
• Cook them a fancy dinner.
• Shape your food into hearts using a heart-shaped cookie cutter. Just imagine a heart-shaped steak with a pad of heart-shaped butter melting on top. Who wouldn't love you after that! (Well, maybe your heart wouldn't.)
• Fondue is easy and indulgent. Try using bittersweet chocolate, a little milk or cream and a shot of Frangelico or Amaretto liqueur. There are hundreds of recipes on-line, too. Offer a variety of fruits and cakes to use for dipping. There's no need for an expensive fondue fountain, this can easily be made in a slow cooker or pot placed over a candle flame.
• Eat dinner in the dark, and I mean the complete dark! Blindfolded if you have to. Let your other senses, besides sight, take over. Just make sure you're not using knives or eating scorching hot foods.
• Do a mini wine (or, beer) and chocolate tasting at home.
• Don't forget to make a toast to your Love.
Nothing brings 2 people closer than going on an adventure.
• Go to a museum, gallery, or indoor gardens. It's cheap, requires no reservations, and it's fun, quality time together.
• Piano Fondue! Find a show near you. It's free and a ton of fun.
• This could get a little sassy, but set up a private photo studio at home. Hang up a sheet and bring out your camera. Make your Lover feel like a model for an afternoon. Or be more adventurous and go outside for a few candids. Remember to take some of you together, too. Then frame your favorite shot.
• Go on a winery or brewery tour.
• On separate little slips of paper, write fun romantic ideas the two of you can do together. It can be anything from a kiss to a hike in the woods. Make as many as you can and put them in a jar. Pick a day, like Saturday, and on that day pull out a slip from the jar and do the said activity together. There are 52 weeks in a year so if you can get 52 ideas, then you'll have something to do with each other every week for the next year.
• Give each other back rubs.
• Anything hand-made comes from the heart. You can't go wrong here. If you're not the crafty type, then keep it simple with a hand-made card. No matter how badly you think it'll look, it's still a thousand times more romantic than a store-bought card.
• Don't just stick with the typical roses. Spring flowers or bulbs are a creative way to please your mate. In many parts of the country it's cold and snowy. A little feeling of Spring will help your Valentine get over some of their cabin fever, and they can look forward to planting the bulbs with you when it warms up in a couple months. Something to look forward to is always a happy thought.
• The gift of time is the best present of all. Spent quality time together by cuddling up on the couch with lots of blankets and a classic love story playing on your flat screen. Here are some movie ideas: The African Queen starring Humphrey Bogart, My Fair Lady starring Audrey Hepburn, Casablanca, King Kong, The Princess Bride, Dirty Dancing starring Patrick Swayze, and An Officer And A Gentleman starring Richard Gere and Debra Winger. Remember, Blockbuster is still in biz so you're able to get your hands on these classics today, or check online at netflix.com for an instant-play movie that can be downloaded right to your computer.
Just because you're single doesn't mean Valentine's Day can't be appreciated.
• Check out a speed dating service or jump on your computer and set up that on-line dating profile. This is no longer considered taboo. In fact, I have friends who met on-line and are now happily married with a baby!
• Invite your other single friends over for a night of board games and cocktails.
• If you have a pet, spend some time with them too. They love us just as much, so it makes sense to show our appreciation on this day. Keep them happy with extra treats and lots of petting. Or, take them out for a game of frisbee.
• Spend time with family. No one loves you more than your son, daughter, parents, siblings, nieces, nephews, grandparents, aunts, uncles, in-laws, step-relatives, you get the picture.
Finally, don't forget to make your self look great today. Wear those special undies. Spray on your favorite perfume or cologne. Clean up and wear something nice. It's much easier to get intimate with someone when they're looking good. And keep in mind, that these ideas can be applied all year round. After all, we love each other every day of the year, right? Happy Valentine's Day my fellow lovey dovey Qreative Quail's!