Monday, September 20, 2010

Summer Meets Autumn Dessert

September is the month that summer says "good-bye" and autumn says "hello". During this transition I always feel a bit culinary confused. Are the apples ripe yet? Can I still order that asparagus soup? How many more avocados can I get before they're out of season? When are the pomegranates going to arrive? To answer all of my questions I've decided to look at September as the perfect month to try out some new recipes by fusing both seasons. This is how my Summer Meets Autumn dessert was invented.
My last visit to the farmers market proved that autumn is knocking on summers door. Less produce and more baked goods, squash, pumpkins, and meat. I picked myself up some angel food cake from an Amish stand, fingerling potatoes, a large sweet potato, and a handful of leeks. Potatoes and leeks to come at a later date. Instead I focused on the angel food cake. Here is how you make the Summer Meets Autumn dessert:

1. Break angel food into small chunks.
2. Top with late summer rasberries.
3. Poor maple syrup over angel food and raspberries.

That's it, dig in and savor the flavors of two of most wonderful seasons in one. And if you're looking for something a little more sinful, try adding hot fudge, rum, or a variety of berries such as strawberries, or better yet, chin-dripping peach slices.

Enjoy it while you can because winter will be here before you know it.

No comments: